Tuesday 6 May 2014

Review: Sleek

I recently bought some products from Sleek as I was in need of new eyeshadows, blushers and other bits and bobs. I had read some good reviews about Sleek, particularly for their blusher and contouring kit so I decided to give them a go. 

I bought:

Divine Eyeshadow Au Naturel Palette, £7.99 - I tend to mainly use neutral eyeshadows, but do I have a few bright colours for special occasions/moments of madness. Firstly, to anyone thinking of buying this product, be warned to check the palette itself. I know that it's always awkward to open make up in store, but just check the palette opens easily. My one is a bit faulty and I nearly broke my nails trying to open it at first (I've started opening it with tweezers!). 
However, the product itself is great. The lighter shades are matte which is useful in building up a shadow base - I've been using Honeycomb (top row, 3rd from right) a lot as I can build it up/tone it down really easily. However, my personal favourite shades are Conker (bottom row, far left) and Taupe (top row, far right). They have an amazing shimmer and texture, but aren't too sparkly. Conker is a dark brown but with a gorgeous red undertone. I am normally quite sceptical about shimmery eyeshadows as usually there is only glitter and barely any colour but Sleek have created a great mixture of the two. It's fairly similar to the Urban Decay Naked palette, but without the hefty price tag! A couple of the paler shades are a bit repetitive, but I tend to mix shades together anyway. This product is great value for money, and really makes me want to try the Oh So Special palette too!
Rating: 8/10





Blush By 3 Pink Lemonade, £9.99 - I bought this in-store from Superdrug, but for some reason it doesn't display it on the website. I nearly went for Lace, but then I came across Pink Lemonade and it was love at first sight. The centre blusher is creamy, whereas the outer two are powder based. I personally find this really useful as similarly to the eyeshadow, I can blend them together. What originally attracted me to the palette was the Rose Gold shade (far right) - I've heard a lot of people say it's a good dupe for Nars Orgasm. When mixed with the middle blusher, its staying power is quite strong so overall it is a decent dupe. However it does need to be topped up whenever I reapply powder, but frankly I've had that issue with a lot of more expensive blushers. 
Rating: 9/10




Face Contour Kit Light, £6.49 - Finally the piece I was most excited about: the contour kit! Strangely enough, this was the most underwhelming item I bought, though that's not to say it was bad. It just didn't live up to my (slightly overenthusiastic) expectations. I got the kit in light as medium was more or less the same colour as my foundation, therefore not as useful for highlighting. The brown pressed powder segment is good as it complements my skin tone, is easy to apply and blend and is MATTE (I've got a bit of a thing for matte). The highlighting powder on the other hand, is shimmery and even a lot doesn't go a long way. I need to apply my YSL Touche Éclat underneath just to give it a bit more staying power. Even though medium was a bit on the dark side, I do think the light palette is a bit too pale and can wash me out more so than highlight. 
Rating: 6/10



The next Sleek items I want to try are the Molten Metal and Gold Leaf Pewter eyeshadow duo and their Be Beautiful Blemish Balm. Let me know if anyone's tried any of the products mentions (or other Sleek products too) and what you've thought of them!

G x





No comments:

Post a Comment