Monday 30 June 2014

How To Wear: Bright Make Up


Before I properly begin this post, it's worth noting that anyone can pull off bright make up: be it lips, eye shadow, lashes - you name it. I'm not going to go into step-by-step detail on how I achieved this look as my make up may not necessarily suit you, but it just provides an idea on how to get the colourful ball rolling. I've named the most important products needed to get the look and little tips and tricks on how to pull off bright make up. 

I wore this look on a night out to Camden Town recently. I find red lips extremely elegant and timeless, but for this night I wanted a fresher, more playful make up look. Hot pink it was. I used my favourite pink lip shade, MAC's classic Girl About Town, £15. I love this lipstick because it does not budge from my lips all night - it saves me running to the bathroom to check my lips every five minutes. Ain't nobody got time for that on the dance floor. Now I'm no stranger to a pink lip - I wear it more than my red lipstick simply because I think it work day or night, dressed smart or casual. I may be wrong, but it feels so right


 As you can tell from the pictures, I didn't do anything particularly bold with my eye make up as it would look too intense (*messy*). Think of your eyes as legs and your lips as cleavage: it's one or the other. I just used a thin slick of liquid eyeliner and pumped up my lashes using mascara (from past experience, falsies and Camden have never ended well).

What really pulls this look together is the Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Colour in Rose Gold. Be it make up or jewellery, rose gold goes well with my complexion as it creates a richer look without being too obvious. The product is on the pricier side at £19, but you need so little of it that it lasts ages. 

Tips and Hints

Inserting some sparkly eyeshadow by your tear duct and under your lower lash line immediately gives a more wide awake, vibrant look. Paler skin tones should opt for white, rose gold or vanilla shades, whilst darker skin tones will suit golds, bronzes and coppers. Think of it as contouring for the eye. 

If you're feeling brave, try contrasting colours: blue eyeliner and pink lips, emerald eyes and coral lips, yellow eyes and purple lips. However, when using coloured eyeliner, less is more. The brighter the colour, the thinner the line. It's easier to add slightly more on than to take loads off. 

If you make a mistake applying liquid liner, put a splash of eye make up remover on the tip of a cotton bud and gently rub it off. 

When rocking a bright lip, don't forget lipliner. You may think you can get away with it, but pictures the next day will be very unforgiving. You'll end up looking like a rainbow rash has attacked your mouth area.

To create a matte look, dab some of your powder onto your lips after applying lipstick. 

With bright make up, keep your eyebrows groomed and filled in but natural looking. A strong Elizabeth Taylor or Audrey Hepburn brow does not merge well with 80s eye colours. They were different eras for a reason. Same rule applies to false lashes - if used, keep them subtle. 

Ponytails and up-dos look amazing with bright make up - your face becomes the star attraction.

I love bold make up with all black outfits: it's such a style statement and gives the wildest make up looks an elegant finish.



Make sure you have somewhere special to go and then paint away! 
Hope you enjoyed this look and want to try it for yourselves.

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment