Monday 16 June 2014

Review: LUSH Mint Julips Lib Scrub

When it comes to exfoliating and moisturising skin, I'm a preacher. However, I recently found that whenever I applied lip gloss or lipstick, I would get dead white skin developing in the corners of my mouth over the course of the day. This is mainly caused by dehydration, but sometimes no matter how much water I drink, lip products just don't take to my lips as nicely as I would like. 

As a result, I've been contemplating lip scrubs for a while now but was always put off by the thought of a grainy, scrubby texture on my lips - surely it's not natural? But then something changed: I walked into LUSH. While I've liked LUSH products for a while now (the store smells better than what Heaven probably smells like - I want to eat everything in it and bathe in it at the same time), a lot of hype in their cosmetics can be more about smell and appearance rather than effectiveness. 

Whilst I was browsing, I came across some lip scrubs in Bubblegum, Popcorn and Mint. I picked up the Mint Julips one (mainly because I like the smell of mint, but also because bubblegum smells nauseating to me, like an eight year old chewing Hubba Bubba for hours on end...). LUSH have natural, handmade cosmetics so in my eyes what could possibly go wrong? Also, did I mention that it's EDIBLE (or should I say lickable?)? Smooth lips and minty fresh breath in one (slightly overpriced) £5.50 pot. 


Now I know that anyone can make a 'homemade' lip scrub using sugar, but in all honesty I'm too busy (i.e. lazy) and also want an excuse to walk into LUSH. But in all honesty, the product isn't amazing - it doesn't exfoliate excellently so I generally end up using quite a lot of it. I'm also not in love with the packaging, it's not the most practical or sanitary for getting product out of. Grains of minty sugar end up getting all over obscure places in my face, fingers and bathroom.

 Additionally, I could probably learn to make it myself if I bought some sugar/made an effort. It tastes and smells nice, but I always end up needing to use quite a lot of it (and not because I have particularly big, luscious and pouty lips). I tend to apply lots of Vaseline on my lips after I use it anyway, so that's the reason why they feel softer and hydrated.  

Overall, it's a cute novelty buy and would make a nice gift but I don't think I would buy it again. It is a good starter product for lip scrub virgins like myself, but if you want a cheaper and more powerful alternative hop down to your local supermarket to buy a bag of sugar and with the power of Google, make your own product and scrub away. 



Rating: 5/10

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment